to our New Old House
These rowhouses, situated between Lark and
in Albany's historic Center Square neighborhood, were among the final
Eaton (1817-91), who lived down Lancaster Street at 151. Working on the
Capitol between 1874 and 1883, Eaton came under the influence of the
Romanesque master, H. H. Richardson.
Richardson's influence is evident in the rusticated brownstone exteriors. According to local lore, the stonework of the Lancaster row was salvaged from the 1809 Capitol designed by Philip Hooker.
Adapted from Albany Architecture, Diana S. Waite, editor. (c) 1993, Mt. Ida Press.